Thursday, August 8, 2013

Goals and Procrastination

I started this blog a little over a month ago to write every single day and improve myself. Problem is, I'm a terrible procrastinator unless I really have a fire under my ass to complete something. School is excellent for that. Having friends that appreciate your craft is helpful too. It lights the fire, but I feel more that I bask in its glow rather than feeling the heat to complete something. I told my friend, Lauren, that I would write her a story, but I hit a writing wall and haven't looked back to my work in a month, much like this blog.

However, I read an interesting Tumblr post about what can make one a better writer, and this is immensely helpful considering that I feel like I've had the same writing style for about 6 years or so. I have probably changed, but since I don't have any actively critical eyes going over my work, I find myself in this constant loop of self-loathing, self-judgement, and stagnation. So, I'm going to try what Mr. Palahniuk has suggested. I will obstain from 'thinking' and I will unpack more. I will write at least 300 words a day up until Valetnine's Day since that put me at the six month point.

I really hope will strive write so much that I will absolutely BURY this post. So please look forward to it. Also, it would help me out a lot if you tell your friends so I can get some unbiased feedback. Oh, and hold me accountable, damn it!

No comments:

Post a Comment